I’d always thought that cinnamon rolls required a special method or machine to make them. I never realised just how easy and doable it is to make them. The vegan kind are no different! So here’s an easy recipe to make some yummy vegan rolls.
For the dough:
- 11 grams of active yeast or fresh yeast
- 3/4 of warm water
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter or oil
- 1/4 of sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of self raising flour
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of cinnamon powder
- 1 table spoon of either oil or vegan butter
For the dough
- Firstly ensure that the vegan butter is melted down and add the sugar to this.
- Proceed to combine the warm water to the yeast and leave to sit for a few moments
- Then in a bowl place the flour and add the salt and mix well.
- Then pour in the yeast mixture and melted butter mixture and mix until it’s time to use your hands.
- Place the dough on a pre floured board and knead for roughly 5 -10 minutes. Avoid adding too much flour as it will become tough when baked.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky.
- Then cover the bowl with cling film or whatever ever you have and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
For the filing
Simply combine the sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Then set aside till the doughs back in the picture.
Back to the dough
- The dough should have at least doubled in size.
- Take it from the bowl and begin to roll it out into a rectangular shape. Not too thin though.
- Once you’ve rolled it out grease the dough with either some oil or vegan butter don’t shy now this is so that the cinnamon sugar will stick. Also make sure to leave about 1-2 cm of dough in greased so you can seal the roll.
- Then add your cinnamon sugar to the dough and ensure to spread an even layer. Gently press the sugar into the dough to ensure it doesn’t fall out.
- Then get rolling. You want to start from the ends and gently roll the dough onto itself. Take your time and stay consistent throughout to ensure for a nice even unified roll.
- Once you reach the end aka the non greased segment of the dough lightly wet your fingers with water and slide that along the remaining dough to seal.
- Grab a sharp knife and begin to cut out your cinnamon rolls. How thick or small you want it is completely up to you. Place them on either a non stick or pre greased baking tray .
- Once you’re all don’t cover the tray and leave them to rise for another hour in a warm place .
- Then place them in the oven at 180 degrees C and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once they’re done enjoy them 🤸🏾♀️
- Feel free to add some icing or like I did some maple syrup