Teff is quickly becoming a popular grain similar to most ancient grains that have been popularised by western media they quickly get slapped with the name “superfood”. Now in most cases I take the term “superfood” with a pinch of salt but this grain is different it definetly is a superfood that we should all try to incorporate into our diets.
Here are some of the benefits of Teff:
High nutritional value
High in protein ( contains eight essential amino acids needed for growth and repair)
High amounts of calcium, manganese, phosphorus, iron, copper, aluminium, barium, thiamine and vitamin C.
High in fibre
low in both sodium and fat
well after all that I don’t see what more you need to give this ancient Ethiopian grain a go….. hmm oh yeah that’s right the recipe!
- 1 Cup of Teff grain or the flour works too
- 3 Cups of water
- 2-3 table spoons of an Optional sweetener
- pinch of sea salt
- Fresh fruit I like bananas and berries
- seeds of your choice I like to use chia, flaxseed, pumpkin seed and sunflower
- cacao nibs
- Place your pot on a medium heat on the stove.
- Then place the water and allow to simmer before adding the dry ingredients
- Place all the dry ingredients into the simmering water
- Once the Teff is now in the pot you need to consistently whisk the porridge until it’s done I use a folk to do this but a whisk may work better. this is just to ensure the Teff porridge comes out smooth and not lumpy.
- Your looking for a smooth combined texture similar to that of oatmeal but it will be less glutinous and runny.
- Once it is ready remove the pot from heat and place a lid on top for a few moments whilst you prepare your toppings.
- Then simply serve up your porridge and enjoy